In this post, we will identify 6 Home remedies to get rid of head lice.
Though head lice infestation can occur in anyone irrespective of age or gender, it is most common among children ages three to 14.
It spreads easily from one person to another through contact with contaminated hair, brushes, combs, clothing or bedding. Common symptoms of head lice are a feeling that something is crawling on the head, an itchy scalp and sometimes red bumps on the scalp. (1)
Here are 10 Home Remedies to get rid of Head Lice
1. Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice can be utilized to remove lice and nits from the scalp because of its acidic nature.
- Apply some fresh lemon juice to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with vinegar and after that with tepid water. Utilize this treatment once seven days to get rid of head lice.
- Add one tablespoon of crisp lemon juice to a fine glue of four large garlic cloves. Apply this blend on the head and rub around the scalp. Wrap the hair in a thick towel and leave it on for 30 minutes. At that point, wash it off with water and afterward wash with shampoo. Repeat for five successive days to kill head lice.
2. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is a natural insecticide that can effectively kill head lice and help soothe the itching.
Note: Be cautious when utilizing tea tree oil as it is very strong.
- Mix 3 to 5 drops of oil for each one ounce of shampoo. Use the blend to cleanser your hair. When dry, utilize a nit brush to remove the lice. Utilize Use blended shampoo for no less than two months.
- As another option, mix three tablespoons of olive oil and one teaspoon of tea tree oil. You can likewise include one teaspoon of eucalyptus oil. Apply on your hair and scalp completely. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, and afterward shampoo your hair. Utilize this treatment twice seven days for one to two months.
Onions can be used as a natural remedy to treat head lice. Onions are high in sulfur that kills head lice.
- Crush four to five onions in a blender or food processor to make a paste.
- Put the paste on a strainer and press it with a spoon to separate the juice.
- Back rub your scalp with the juice, and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for no less than two hours.
- Shampoo your hair altogether with tepid water.
- Dry your hair and utilize a nit brush to remove all the head lice.
- Repeat this treatment for day by day for three continuous days, and after that do it once per week for two months to totally eliminate head lice.
4. Coconut Oil:
- Warm up three tablespoons of coconut oil and add a little camphor to it.
- Apply this oil all over your head, and massage it into your scalp.
- Cover your head and hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- The following morning, wash your hair with shampoo. When dry, brush it with a nit brush.
- Utilize this treatment day by day for five days to annihilate lice.
Another well known home treatment for head lice is mayonnaise. It can effectively choke out the little creatures and in the end murder them.
- Coat your hair completely with mayonnaise.
- Cover it firmly with plastic or a shower top. You can even wrap a towel over the plastic.
- Leave it on for at least five to six hours.
- Wash your hair well with your shampoo.
- Dry your hair using a hair dryer as the hot air guarantees the lice are dead.
- Use a nit brush to evacuate the lice and nits.
- Repeat once every week for around two months.
A simple and effective treatment to wipe out head lice is vinegar. The high amount of acidic acid present in vinegar can effectively kill head lice. Also, the vinegar helps dissolve dead nits.
- Blend equal of vinegar and mineral oil. Apply this blend to your scalp and hair before going to bed. Cover your head and hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight. The following morning, wash your hair with your normal shampoo.
- Alternatively, dilute vinegar with an equivalent measure of water and use the solution for wash your freshly shampooed hair. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and after that wash your hair again with water.
698 total views, 7 views today